Friday, January 07, 2011

The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner

Had a lazy Thursday hanging out with my heating pad because I didn't feel well. We spent the evening celebrating at the Court of Honor for Luke, one of Tyler's fellow boy scouts, who earned his Eagle rank! Got me very excited to help Tyler continue to work toward Eagle, he has been working hard, but I think seeing a friend accomplish it really motivates all of the boys to work harder.

Dinners are planned for the next month thanks to my awesome new book!

The great thing about the Food Nanny is that she helps you plan out your meals, and the cookbook is organized by themes. She reccomends that you have a food theme for each day of the week. My kids are really excited about this and got super stoked when looking at our menu for next week! They are excited to help in the kitchen too. Since Nic has decided he either wants to be a baseball player or a chef when he grows up...he is the most excited about helping in the kitchen! We will see how long that lasts.

I printed out the Menu plan from the Food Nanny's website. I went through the cookbook which is organized by these themes and built our menu for the next month.

Then I printed out the shopping list from the Food Nanny site, which is organized by product type, why did I never think to do this before??? That shopping list is what I have been needing for a long time...so much better than my long list of unorganized stuff and having to run all over the store when I get to the bottom of the list and realize I forgot something at the back of the store. (last time I was at the grocery store I had to run back to places I had already been like 3 times! UGH!)

So here is what's on the menu for this week. I am gonna list the pg. numbers from the cookbook in case you decide to get the book, but you can find some of these recipes on a new food nanny site from BYU. I can't get anything to print from this site for some reason...I hope they get it fixed soon though because it would make the food nanny meal planning so much easier!

Monday- Comfort Food- Beef Stroganoff (46), Mashed potatoes, carrots, applesauce.

Tuesday- Soup- 6 Can Tortilla Soup (Recipe on Food Nanny Site), beer bread, mandarin oranges.

Weds- Meatless- Bow Tie Pasta and Cherry Tomato (7), Garlic Bread, salad, Pears.

Thurs- Mexican- 3 Cheese Quesadillas (114), refried beans, mexican rice, apple sauce

Fri- Family Favorites- Sloppy Joe, french fries, fruit cocktail, salad.

Sat- family night out


Sun- Family Traditions- Crock Pot Roast (172), carrots, potatoes, red and greens salad (191)

Monday also starts the new Spring Semester of graduate school...so the chaos will begin and we can see how well this meal planning helps out. Chad has committed to sticking to the meal plan and following the recipes if he ends up having to be in charge of dinners this semester! He swears he can't cook...but I think if we have all the ingredients and he just has to follow the recipe, he will do fine, and the "Chef" aka Nic can help him if all else fails!

No comments: