Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering Sept 11th

This is a picture of one of the crosses that was found in the rubble of the fallen World Trade Center after the Sept 11th attack. The crosses became a place of healing, prayer and meditation for the workers and those who lost loved ones in the days after the attack.

On Sept 7th 2001 my grandma had a stroke. She was taken 2 hrs away to the Ohio State University hospital. On Sept 11th at the exact time of the attatcks I was lost and driving around Colombus, OH downtown trying to find my way to the hospital. I was listening to Ilene Meckly tapes about making cold calls. My husband called and was freaking out. The first thing he said is where are you? I said I am lost in Colombus. He said frantically, "don't go around any tall buildings!" I said...."huh, there are tall buildings all around me I am in downtown Colomubus." He said, "well leave get out of there, the United States is under attack!"

Talk about panic! I was freaking out! He started telling me about everything that was happening. I turned off Ilene Meckly and started listening to the news. In Colombus they were worried about the OSU hospital of all places...apparently they do some biological warfare experimenting there? Ok so now I am seriously freaking because that is exactly where my grandma is in the intensive care at OSU hospital. Not to mention my parents, aunts and uncles, pregnant sister and cousins!

When I finally made my way to the hospital the streets around it were blocked off. After much security checks I was finally able to make it to a parking garage several blocks away from the hospital. Then when I arrived at the hospital I couldn't get in! They had sealed the hospital and would not allow people to come or go! To make matters worse, cell phones were not allowed on in the ICU waiting area so I couldn't get ahold of my family there. I felt so alone, two hours away from my home and my hubby and my babies and like the world was ending. Scared to death! Finally after a breakdown there in the front of the hospital doors the guard let me in! Even though I didn't feel like it was really the safest place to be...and the ICU is on the TOP floor of the hospital...at least I wasn't alone and could be with my family! We had no idea when we would be able to get out...but at least I was in!

Later that day when things calmed down just a little and all flights were on the ground they finally started allowing people to leave. Our hotel was right beside a gas station. There were people lined up down the block in line for gas. Apparently everyone was afraid we would run out of gas or something? That sent another panic for me because I was two hours from home away from my hubby and my babies....what if I couldn't get back home?

To make matters worse my brother in law was in Salt Lake City at an insurance convention. My sister was pregnant and FREAKING out seriously bad cause her husband was never going to be able to come home! He and another man and a lady from Florida were able to get one of the first rental cars to go out of Salt Lake City. They were all strangers that had just met at the convention. They had made the decision to rent a car and drive home even before they had grounded all of the flights. Good thing because rental cars were scarce later that day. They drove 30 hours straight through and only stopped for gas. They even ate in the car. The lady from Florida still had 14 more hours to go once she got here to WV. I think her mom came and picked her up here.

Panic was the theme for that day. I remember spending much time in deep prayer. That was the only thing that kept me from having a mental breakdown I am sure. I remember praying continually that day and many days after.

I only personally knew one person who lost their life that day. Mary Lou Hague. I went to high school with her. She was one of those super nice people who everyone liked. My heart sank when I discovered that she worked on a floor that was directly hit by the 2nd plane in the south tower. They have named a building of our High School after her in rememberance of her life. There are even billboards still up in her rememberance here in our town.
Check out sites to learn more about her http://www.legacy.com/Sept11/Story.aspx?PersonID=100784

http://users.wirefire.com/pacf/Fund_profiles/Hague.htm


I had nightmares for many months. The most vivid ones still etched in my memory were terrorists catching the woods on fire behind the community where I lived. Houses were just going up in flames. I was always trying to save my photos and scrapbooks. I had that dream all the time there for a few months. WIERD!

Today I have a candle lit in rememberance of all of those who lost their lives that day. Also in rememberance for all of the soldiers that have been fighting the war on terror ever since that day. I started my day with prayer for all of those families who lost someone that day. Lord, please give them a peace today. Keep them in your prayers today.

No comments: