Sunday, March 08, 2009

Starting My Garden

So where oh where did my weekend go? The weather was in the 70's and oh so beautiful! It really got me in the gardening mood that is for sure!

I garden using Earthboxes because I have very little yard space that is flat enough for a garden. With the earthboxes I can plant on my patio. I get way more veggies from my earthboxes than I ever got from planting in the ground though because the earthboxes have a selfcontained watering system. I have to water once a day or sometimes twice a day when it is really hot...but wow we get a huge abundance of produce all summer long!!

I usually purchase my veggie plants to plant in the earthboxes when it is time to set them out. However, this year I decided to try growing from seed to save some money. We shall see. I have been researching and reading about starting from seed. Oh I so hope that I can do it! I have planted 216 seeds in jiffy pots. Cucumbers, red peppers, green peppers, beefstake tomatoe, cherry tomato, spaghetti squash, yellow straigtneck squash, scallions, acorn squash, zuchini. I usually grow eggplant but last year I didn't have much luck so I am switching to spaghetti squash this year to give it a try!

So this is day one for my planted seeds! Maybe the seed thing can keep me content while I wait to get outside to garden. Come on SPRING!!! I am so ready for the cold to be long gone! These past two days of nice spring weather have me itching for it to last!! I will try to post pictures of my seed project soon!:)

No comments: